I like to consider myself a money saving expert because I have two things going for me: I'm a college student and I'm Scottish. I am hard-wired to be cheap and have figured out many ways to help people out with money saving, as well as how to make money quickly and easily.
Saturday, January 29, 2011
Money Saving Myth of the Day: Don't Run Your Car's Air Conditioner
We've all heard this one: if you want to save money on gas, turn your air conditioner off in the summer and drive with your windows down. This would seem to make sense, right? The air conditioner uses gas, while driving with the windows down is free, right? There's one thing that this myth forgets to factor in: wind drag. When you drive with your windows down, you create more wind drag, effectively causing your gas mileage to go down and costing you more money. So driving with your windows down really isn't free. I have heard of some rules of thumb that try to save you a little on gas. If you're driving under 35 mph, such as through town, you should have your windows down. Anything above that? Run the air conditioner. While these tips are somewhat true, the savings on gas are so minuscule that it's really not worth it. My recommendation: Be comfortable, turn that AC on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment