I like to consider myself a money saving expert because I have two things going for me: I'm a college student and I'm Scottish. I am hard-wired to be cheap and have figured out many ways to help people out with money saving, as well as how to make money quickly and easily.
Saturday, January 29, 2011
Money Saving Tip of the Day: Don't Let Your Car Idle
We've all been in this situation: You're waiting outside for a friend, a family member, or a coworker. Or maybe you're at a really long light. Then the age old question pops into our head: should I keep my car running or cut it off? You obviously want to save gas, but you aren't sure what saves more gas. On the one hand, turning your car off obviously will keep you from using any more gas. However, on the other hand, it takes more gas to start your car than it does to keep it running. It sort of seems as if you're damned if ya do, damned if you don't, huh? Well, use this rule of thumb and you'll never have to give into this catch 22. If you are planning to be waiting for less than 1 minute, keep the car running. Longer than a minute? Turn that key to accessory (you'll still be able to listen to your Cher Greatest Hits Album...). Don't think this tip makes much of a difference? According to Edmunds.com, you can save as much as 19% of your fuel by following this simple trick. With the national average per gallon being at $3.09 in the U.S. at the time of posting this article, you can save $.59 per gallon just by simply shutting your car off and keeping it running at the right times. When you take into account that the average American burns through 480 gallons of gas per year, you're looking at a very easy $283 annual savings. Now does this tip sound worthwhile? I thought so...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment